School Notes 19 Sept 2011
· Welcome back to a refreshed and revitalised Moyne CS staff and students! A very warm welcome is also extended to our brand new first year students, who are settling in very well to their new surroundings. Also we wish to welcome Ms Mulcahy, Ms Masterson, Ms Gill, Ms Morris and Ms MC Carth to the Moyne Community School staff this year.
· On Wednesday 14th of September the day of reckoning had finally approached for our current 4th year and TY students as they received their Junior Cert Results. The halls were filled with nervous anticipation but all the hard work paid off for our students as we heard shouts of joy and laughter fill the library upon opening their results! Well done to all those who received their results, the Moyne Cs staff and student body are very proud of you. Overall the Junior Cert results were very impressive in the school but two students Cailin Sheridan and Brian Gordon gained maximum results in the Junior Certificate Exam securing eleven A’s in Higher level subjects. This is a massive achievement for both students. Well done!
· On Thursday 15th of September our Leaving Cert and Leaving Cert Applied Students travelled to the Higher Options Showcase in the RDS in Dublin. This gives students an opportunity to gain vital information on prospective career paths and third level opportunities at an early stage in the year. The students found the day out beneficial and interesting. Thank you to Ms Wrynn and Ms Killian for organising the trip.
· The Opening of the year mass will take place on September 29th in the gym. Preparations are ongoing at present. All members of the choir please take note that practice will take place this week. All new members very welcome!
· Memory Lane Photography visited the school on September 6th to photograph 1st, 3rd and 5th year students. Our students had their biggest smiles on display on the day as parents open up a space on the mantlepiece. Photographs will be delivered to the school in the coming weeks.
· The Green School team are back in action after the summer break, please keep our school
clean and green!
Moyne’s Karate Kid
· On Thursday 23rd of September 2nd year student Jessica O Neill will travel to Edinburgh, Scotland with the JKS, Japan Karate Shotorenmei. Jessica will take part in the Shotokon World Championships with the JKS A squad. This is the first time the competition has been held outside of Japan. The championship is a two day event incorporating team and individual matches and country parades. There are 32 countries competing in the event. Jessica has been training in her craft for the past seven years and is now a member of the MSKC in Longford under Sensei Alan Smith. We wish Jessica the best of luck in the competition.
Transition Year News
· On September 6th/7th The Transition year classes travelled to the Lough Allen Adventure centre on an outdoor pursuit. This was a chance for the new TY classes to get to know their classmates better through a range of team building skills and outdoor adventures. A great trip was had by all, thanks to the PE department for organising the trip!