12th October 2012
Today our Green Schools Committee raised for the first time all three green flag won by the school - water, litter and energy. The flag were raised by Pat jones, representing the staff, Thomas Ganley representing the students and Gary Brady, Longford Co Council (and past pupil who have been so supportive to the school.
We have also launched our campaign for our 4th flag - Transport. To begin this campaign we have established the Moyne Mile, three laps around the school building and the island. This will become a weekly event in the school. Other activities to highlight transport, costs and environmental issues will take place throughout the school year
For more pictures visit our facebook page
Our school has been participating in the Green Schoolsí Programme for the last five years. This year our Green Schoolís Committee has applied for renewal of our Green Flag and we also hope to achieve an Energy Flag.
In order to retain our Green Flag the Committee has organized the following:
(1) 1st years - litter duty after break, supervised by Pat, Matt and a member of the studentsí Green Schoolís Committee.
(2) 2nd years - Competition - each of the second year classes are given a two week slot to pick up litter on the school grounds. Mr McGuckin and two students from the green schools committee inspect the grounds every week and award marks for the different zones. The class who gain the highest mark will get a prize at the end of the school year.
(3) Dining hall will be supervised at lunch times by the Green Schools committee
(4) Committee - presentations will be made to 1st and 2nd years and posters will be put up around the school to raise awareness during Awareness Week..
The Green Schools Committee are going to have a Green Schoolís Awareness Week during February.
During this week the following activities will be carried out-
1. Posters will be put up around our school to raise awareness.
2. PowerPoint presentations will be given.
3. Leaflet for teachersí desks which our teachers will read out.
4. Announcements will be made on the intercom by Green Schoolís Committee.
5. Person from Committee will close doors/ switch off lights every day.
6. The dining hall tables will be rearranged and litter wardens (committee) will be on duty at lunch time.
In order to gain our Energy Flag our Green Schoolís are Committee are doing the following:
- Environmental Review and Energy Audit.
- Awareness Campaign- Posters, closing doors, signs at lights to switch off lights.
- Presentation to junior classes.
- Insulation, our Principal has overseen the insulation of the exterior walls of our school.
- Sub-Committee are busy unblocking radiators.
Green School Committee Members
Conal Murphy Mrs. McLoughlin
Podge Gill Ms. Hennigan
Barry Mc Keon Mrs Wrynn
Ryan Brady Mr. McGuckin
Charlotte Cully Ms. Rudden
Siobhan Hebron Mrs. Grimes
Daniel Canning Mrs. Maguire
Gavin Kiernan Ms. Kennedy
Stephen Leddy Ms. Killian
Shane Smith Mr. Pat Jones
Eoin Mc Nerney Mr. Matt Gray
Cormac Oí Brien
Our Green Schoolís Committee has been divided up into ten sub-committees.
Sub committees 2009-2010
- Minutes/Rota: Hilary Egan
- ESB Bills: Claire, Podge, Barry, Conal.
- Oil Bills: Joseph, Charlotte, Stephen.
- Notice Board: Eoin, Shane, Daniel, Stephen.
- Green Flag Presentation and Report: Lauren, Hilary, Rianne
- Energy Flag Presentation: Aaron, Isabelle, Aideen, Cormac, Ryan.
- Dining Hall: Joseph, Ryan, Charlotte, Podge, Stephen, Barry, Conal, Ronan, Stephen K, Cormac, Karen, Niamh, Daniel, Eoin, Aaron
- Energy Report: Conal, Ryan, Shane.
- Posters: Siobhan, Lisa, Niamh, Karen, Ronan.
10. Energy Audit: Aaron, Gerard